Nigerians in the UK make up the highest percentage of Nigerians in the diaspora. In order to harness the potential of young players in the UK Team Nigeria held an open football trial in London which attracted over 800 young Nigerians under the age of 16.
A development squad has since been established and so far been involved in a series of friendly games with the youth side of professional clubs including Bristol City FC, Birmingham City FC, and Millwall FC. The team also emerged victorious at the recent African Cup of Nations UK Under 15’s tournament which was held in June 2014. The tournament, which was a resounding success, attracted over 20,000 spectators in the UK.
Objectives of Team Nigeria UK
- To educate, inspire and empower young people to benefit from the consistently growing sporting industry.
- To change the negative perception of Nigerian youth abroad by providing a creative outlet through sports.
- To be the bridging platform facilitating young Nigerians in securing a place in premier youth football academies across the UK and internationally.
What We Do
- Identifying and linking talents of Nigerian Decent across UK, Europe and USA with Nigeria Junior National Teams
- Sports Camp & Summer School Camp (International Schools only)
- Mentoring (Through our Partner Pathway Sports)
- Training Camp programme (Through our Partner Pathway Sports)
- Sourcing skilled young talents for Clubs in UK and Europe
- Youth Development Programmes (through our partner Pathway Sports)
Team Nigeria International’s (TNI) mission is to be the foremost internationally recognised development body for grassroots sport in the Diaspora. The will encompass supporting the development of Nigeria’s next generation of sports stars across all the Olympic disciplines through increasing the number of young people who are involved in sport and to widen their access; through an effective network of clubs, facilities, coaches, volunteers and competitive opportunities through effective, strategic grassroots plan and building capacity; TNI will support young Nigerian sports talents in the diaspora on the road to success at both national and international stage.
Team Nigeria works through its various Subsidiaries, including Team Nigeria UK, USA, Canada, and Europe, to identify, develop, nurture young sports talents both Male and female of Nigeria extraction in the diaspora as well as back home in Nigeria to represent the country on the International stage. TNI currently works in partnership with the Nigerian Football Federation, and we hope to build a strong partnership with the Ministry of sports, Nigerian Sports Commission, and other sports administrators in Nigeria. This is to ensure that our young people identified through our Talent development program can get the opportunity to participate and represent the country in their chosen sport discipline.
As part of its supporting role in the delivery of sports and leadership opportunities. Team Nigeria International also runs a yearly summer camp for school aged children in Nigeria as well as a volunteer development strategy across its international subsidiaries, led by Team Nigeria International network of qualified sports development and leadership coaches.
Team Nigeria UK has already attracted national and international recognition amongst the sporting elite. Through established links with the Professional Football Association, the London Football Association and a network of premiership clubs throughout the UK, it’s able to build, develop and expose young athletes to the demands of playing at an international level. 6 players out of the Team Nigeria UK development squad have already attracted interest from Birmingham City and Bristol City FC and are currently on trial with their youth academy squads.