HRM Oba Dokun Thompson, Oloni of Eti-Oni, Nigeria
HRM Oba Dokun Thompson The Oloni Of Eti-Oni, Osun State was born over forty five years ago to the House of Gureje-Thompson of Eti-Oni which is a household whose family members have documented history of over 180 years of selfless contributions in various socio-political and economic aspects towards the development of the Yoruba Nation and Nigeria in general.
Oba Dokun Thompson attended Ireti Primary School, Ikoyi, Lagos and got admission to King’s College Lagos in 1977 where he did his West African Examination Council GCE O Levels and then proceeded to University of Ibadan for his B.Sc Degree in mechanical engineering which he obtained in 1990. He went through his secondary and university education on United African Company (UAC) scholarship scheme, a merit based system at that time.
While considering his engineering career pursuits he became an entrepreneur getting involved in various businesses including event management, provision of telecom infrastructure support services and facility management and traded between the UK and Nigeria.
In January, 2002 he took a break from private business to contribute his own quota towards the development of Nigeria like his forebears and had a stint in politics with an aspiration to run as a member of The Federal House of Representatives which led to his appointment as one of the inaugural members of the newly created Osun State Rural Development Board between 2003 – 2007 and later returned to his private business.
In December 8, 2008 HRM Oba Dokun Thompson was installed as The Oloni of Eti-Oni making history as the first Oba in Yorubaland to be installed in the church with the pouring of the oil on his head according to the Bible and his Christian beliefs by priests of the Anglican, Apostolic Faith and Christ Apostolic Churches in the presence of the family members, the kingmakers, the people of Eti-Oni and guests from all over south west states.
In addition to his traditional roles, Oba Dokun Thompson has different interests which includes:
- Chairman, Kids Golf International which is an organisation that works in partnership with Nigeria Golf federation to promote and develop the game of golf at the grassroots and amongst children.
- Chairman, Dreamgate West Africa Ltd which is a company that partners with organisations globally to create a platform to promote Nigerian culture and life style and at the same time create bilateral trade opportunities.
- Director, DNL Construction Ltd, an infrastructure and building construction company and also a director of Micro Leverage International Ltd a company that engages in mobile money strategies.
- Patron, Kings College Old Boys, Federal University of Technology Akure Chapter.
- Chairman, Culture and Traditions Committee of Kings College Old Boys Association.
- Patron, Impact Organisation of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife, Osun State.
- Patron, Anglican Youth Fellowship, St Johns Anglican Cathedral, Iloro, Ilesa, Osun State.
His latest assignment has been the promotion of unity of the Church in Nigeria, tolerance for one another irrespective of divides towards a New and beautiful Nigeria.
His Royal Majesty has started putting plans together to bring African Natural Rulers together, the first of its kind and become more influential in bringing trade to Africa, providing in-sourcing farming deals that are equitable to the African rural farmers and capable of addressing food insecurity challenges, engage with conflict resolution as mediators and Arbitrators and prevent African lives being lost to senseless conflict. Engage with Tourism as a means of bring trade and development whilst showcasing African heritage.
We look forward to working with Kabiyesi in 2015. Long may he reign.